Virgin Mary's snakes at Markopoulo

At Markopoulo village of Elios Pronnoi region is Panagia Lagouvarda or Virgin Fidousa. There every year in early August make their appearance the snakes of Virgin Mary, and circulate on the church and on the image of the Virgin until 15 August celebration day of the Assumption. These snakes have a characteristic cross in the head and are considered harmless and sanctuaries. Indeed, the appearance is considered a good omen for the coming year and when don't appearance the snakes is of portent of bad luck. It is reported that in 1940 and 1953 did not appeared snakes and followed great suffering, while the 1940 the island was occupied by Italian occupiers and the 1953 hit the island destructive earthquakes.

At the point where is the church was a convent and according to tradition, the Virgin Mary transformed the nuns in snakes to escape the ignominy of the Turks, while according to another version sent poisonous snakes to destroy the invaders.
On August 14th done a big festival in the church and around the church gathered many vendors. Visitors from all over Kefalonia arrive to admire this small miracle that is repeated every year, and to be photographed with the snakes of Virgin Mary.

Saint Gerasimos

Saint Gerasimos is the patron saint of Kefalonia.

The monastery of Saint Gerasimos is located west of Argostoli, in Omala area, near the valley of 40 wells. It is built in a beautiful location surrounded by vineyards.
In the church of the monastery is the relic of St. Gerasimos. When his relic was found, it was incorrupt and gave off a pleasant scent.

Inside the old church of the monastery is the entrance of the cave where Saint Gerasimos ascetic. It is characteristic that the access to the cave is only through a mid-sized hole. Here are seen two strange phenomena which believers attribute to a miracle of the Saint. The first strange phenomenon is that despite the limited size of the hole, there is no way not to fit someone through it as overweight they are. At least until today, everyone who tried managed to enter inside the cave. The second phenomenon is that despite the muddy liquid ground that all the caves have, the pilgrims never get dirty. And it is worth noting that the depth of the cave reaches 3 meters and in some places believers must crawl.

The islanders talk with great excitement about His grace and they honor His memory by two processions on August 16, the day of His death and the second on October 20, the day when His relic was found, which is and the official feast.

Saint Andrew

Female cenobitic Monastery of Apostolos Andreas Monastery in the village Peratata Kefalonia, in the region of Milapidias, founded the Byzantine era and is known for the fact that there, in the monastery is the right foot of the First-Apostle.

Mentioned first as the monastery of Our Lady Milapidias since 1264. During the centuries that followed depopulated and re-established in the year 1579, when three sisters in spirit, Benedict, Leodia and Magdalene, originating from the first capital of the island of Kefalonia, the Medieval municipality of Castle, buy the estate in which existed before the ruined small monastery of St Andrew and settle there in order to be monks.
Rapidly developed female priory, which became a nun at admirable way (rescue from shipwreck) in the year 1639 the Hellenic Romanian princess Roxane, renamed Rumelia nun, daughter of protospatharios Moldovlachia Zotou Tsigara and granddaughter Prince of Moldavia Peter Voevoda. Besides the large property, movable and immovable, dedicated in the monastery a priceless spiritual treasure coming from the Holy Mountain: holy relic of the right foot (sole) of the Apostle Andrew. The tread, dislocated from the ankle, has flesh of the saint, his blood dried, as is also apparent bore in the nail of crucifixion of Saint. The scent is characteristic and very intense. Since then, the Monastery of St. Apostle Andrew operates continuously as commune women, dedicated to the First-Apostle.

Monastery of Kipouraion

Located 15 km from the town of Lixouri is the very old Monastery of Kipouraion. The name is due to the many gardens where maintained by the priests to provide the necessities for their life. The monastery is built over the sea. The year 1759 was built the church from the priest Chrysanthos Petropoulos from Paxoi Island and dedicated to the Annunciation of Our Lady. Soon it becomes a male priory, which in the years of development, the staff consisted of 80 members. Many worthy priests from this monastery and the spiritual work "irrigate" the intellectually arid region. In 1915 French cruiser bombarding the monastery because in the mist watching the chimney smoke to pass for hostile ship. The destructive earthquakes of 1953 hit the monastery even more. In 1964 built the church, while the other buildings built in the 90s with the personal work of the only monk who lives today in the monastery.
In the monastery you can worship the miraculous image of the Annunciation of the Our Lady and the skulls of the Saints founders of the monastery Chrysanthos, Constantius and Efrosynou. Also a piece of True Cross has donated to the Monastery of the Russian Prince Vladimir Dolgorouki in year 1862.

In elegant glass bottle is of myrrh St. Demetrios the Myrrh from the 7th century. You can even worship relics of various Saints and the miraculous icon of St. Paraskevi, unique relic of the destroyed monastery of Tafiou. Today there are only ruins and is merged with that of Kipouraion.

From the balcony of the monastery you can admire and photograph the famous sunset. The magical landscape of the monastery, which harmoniously combines the untrodden mountain with the trackless sea, reminiscent the place Karoulia of Mount Athos and largely a function of their spiritual treasures is pole of attraction for visitors.

Madonna in Agrilia

Madonna in Agrilia Sami founded as a monastery in 1722. According to church history, then, at this point, two shepherds of the area and one maid they found the miraculous icon of the Virgin. They considered divine sign, and the three took decision to become monks and built here the monastery dedicated to the Assumption.

It is male monastery and celebrates the fifteenth of August, so faithful and pilgrims from all over Kefalonia and Ithaca they go in monastery. During the 18th century passed from Notre of Agrilia Kosmas of Aetolia. In honor of Kosmas was built one small church in the courtyard of the monastery, which is celebrated on 24 August. Linked to Sami, which is very close, with asphalt road.

The monastery of Panagia the Agrilia is built on a hill and has spectacular views over the bay of Sami, the Antisamos beach, close to Ithaca and the west side of the neighboring island.